8 Rules to Follow When Shopping
Sales season is on! Do you also feel the urge to shop? Want to feel the adrenalin of getting a good bargain on something you have looked at for a month or two? Or maybe you want to buy those good quality but expensive shoes that will last for the next year or two?
Whatever your reasons might be, we should think twice before buying anything. I am not a saint myself, and I will probably buy a thing or five, but I’m also aware that I have to keep in mind that my closet is far from empty. I have 3 guidelines for myself at the moment:
- Avoid buying “first hand” clothes and buy second hand clothes instead – it gives you a unique and personal style while saving mother earth’s ressources.
- Invest in good quality.
- Use less money on material things and more on experiences
However, I still struggle during sales. So how can I avoid this urge and adrenalin kick? I have made a checklist in order to secure that I don’t buy more than I “need”.
“Need” in this case is I fluffy word, I know. But you probably know what I mean – if you have a black knitted sweater, don’t buy another black knitted sweater!
The 8 Rules
BEFORE potential shopping:
- WISHLIST – make a wishlist of what you would like to buy or invest in – only add things you need!
- PRIORITIZE. Think that you can only buy the the second thing, if you have found the first thing. And of course (!), the thing you potentially would buy should look like the thing you wished for – otherwise you will end up regretting have bought it, and it is a waste of money and all the work in making the actual piece of clothes/shoes.
- BORROW IT. Do you know anybody with the things on your wishlist e.g. sister/mom/friend? Then borrow it for a certain period. You don’t need to own everything yourself! As such, you “wear out” a possible need and the clothes don’t risk hanging in your closet not being used.
- REFUSE SHOPPING! Avoid the shopping trip or going online – when you are exposed to it, you buy things you don’t need.
- REMEMBER YOUR WISHLIST/PRIORITATION LIST – and only buy based on these needs needs.
- “CAN I STYLE IT IN 10 WAYS?” – If yes, then buy it – if no, don’t. Simply as that!
- BUY SUSTAINABLY/QUALITY/VINTAGE! – Aim for it at least! Sustainability is often a bit more expensive because of good working conditions throughout the supply chain and fabrics that are less resource intensive. So be conscious and buy sustainable brands or buy vintage clothing.
- DON’T BUY MORE THAN YOU CAN APPRECIATE! Previously I have experienced that when I buy too much at a time, I do not appreciate the clothes enough, and I don’t wear it enough. Therefore, don’t buy more than 2-3 pieces at a time!
Happy no-shopping - remember it is never too late to change your habits and for you to become a conscious customer!